Friday, January 28, 2011

Joshua 1:8

Joshua 1:8 NKJV - This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.

A dear mother friend of mine, Linda Jones, has always given me good mom advice. When I had my first child she told me to write down what she says. Because although you think you'll remember the adorable things they say, you'll probably forget.

Adorable things like when Malayna was 2, she told me she loved me all the way to the top of Mt. Sinai. Or when Jayden was 2, he laid his hand on my head & said "Thank you Jesus for mommy's head. Amen!" Thankfully I took her advice & I wrote them down. And I enjoy reading them. And I am still writing down what they say.

So just recently I was talking to her about how difficult it is to figure out how Jayden, age 3, learns. She told me to read Joshua 1:8 .... for then you will be prosperous, and then will have success. So I read the whole verse & got what she was saying. That even if he isn't ready to know ALL his letters of the alphabet I can still have him memorize the Scripture.

About a week later I saw that my friend Shirley posted a video of her 3 & 2 year old quoting Psalm 23. I was convicted! I knew my children could memorize Scripture. I just had not done my part! So over the next few weeks, whether we learned letters, sounds, shapes or not.....we learned a verse a week! We are on verse 4 of Psalm 23 (NKJV) and they know it SO well! There are a total of 6 verses so in 2 weeks I will post a video of them quoting it!

So - here is a challenge to all you moms. Stay at home mom or not, homeschooling mom or not......teach your children the Scripture!  

THEY are your mission field! Their salvation depends on YOU!

then when they have the Scripture in them - they WILL be prosperous, the WILL be successful!

Malayna, age 5, praying for a family member that needs Jesus

4 comments:

  1. So true, so true, Michelle!!! This is exactly why we don't give our kids an option when it comes to Bible Quizzing. They are involved whether they are on a team or not. It just does something to hear your kids quoting the scripture! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, you have succeeded in convicting me, now. You think I could somehow get my kids to start memorizing more verses?
    And I LOVE the picture of Malayna praying. I like to think that she prays for me and my family, too. The prayers of children are so precious and powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. Makes me want to teach random kids Bible verses. :) I look forward to seeing the video! Also, I still love that picture of Malayna.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post and you got me thinking too ... This last year was a very trying one for my little family and through it all, at the end of the year, my lesson learned from it all is that the next time that a trial comes my way I want my relationship with God to be much stronger than it was this last year. So there have been some major, exciting changes in our home because of this. Your post was very timely as it prompted me to start teaching Terence more scripture.

    After reading your post I started thinking about what portion of scripture means the most to me and it is Psalm 91. This was my Grammie's favorite portion of scripture and as the end of her life neared the thing that would comfort her the most was to have this psalm read to her. I read it many, many times and would just watch the peace of God wash over her through her pain and exhaustion. So, tonight I started working with Terence. We have half of the first verse down and considering that there are 16 verses we could be a while, but thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete